I’ve been doing a fair amount of spring cleaning the past couple weekends, and I don’t know what I would have done without my Young Living oils and products through all this. I am so thankful I no longer have to rely on awful-smelling and toxic cleaning products, or worry about wearing gloves when I clean and keeping the window open! This is where Young Living’s Thieves Household Cleaner (THC) comes in.
I love this cleaner for several reasons–
1. It just plain works. It might take a while to get the right dilution for your specific cleaning project, but when you do, this will get the job done.
2. It smells amazing and leaves our house smelling amazing! No more leaving the windows open and choking while I scrub the bath tub!
3. It’s natural and non-toxic. I don’t worry about my dogs accidentally getting into it, inhaling too much of it myself or it coming into contact with my skin. When we have kids I will be so thankful to not worry about having to call poison control if they get into my Thieves spray.
THC is made from Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend. Thieves blend contains Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils, which together are said to kill bacteria and support a healthy immune system. It was formulated based on the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who used a blend of these oils to rob the gravely ill and deceased without becoming infected themselves. So cool, right?!
So fast forward to 2017, I use my Thieves HC for all kinds of things around the house. The cleaner is concentrated so it needs to be diluted with water depending on your cleaning needs. I have a 16oz spray bottle (similar to these), so I typically add one capful of THC and fill the rest up with water. This ends up being a ratio of one capful per 2 cups water. For heavy cleaning I add another capful. For light cleaning like windows, you would want a higher water to cleaner ratio! Young Living recommends these ratios:
- All-purpose cleaner: Combine 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner and 2–3 cups water.
- Degreaser: Combine 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner and 2 cups water. For heavy cleaning, use half or quarter the amount of water. If necessary, use a cloth to apply Thieves Household Cleaner undiluted. After cleaning, wipe the area with a cloth dampened with water.
- Glass and mirror cleaner: Combine 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner, 5 drops Citrus Fresh™ essential oil blend, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, and 3 cups water. (Source)
THC is so versatile, I’ve also used it in my dishwasher, washing machine, and spray mop. I’ve made a cleaning paste with THC, baking soda, and vinegar. I love this infographic from Young Living that provides a great summary of several uses for Thieves Cleaner! *If you’re struggling to read the text, click on the image*
What if I don’t have Thieves Household Cleaner yet?
You can absolutely make your own version! Add 30-35 drops of Thieves essential oil to a 16oz spray bottle with 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1.5 cups water. Super simple, and it makes a wonderful multipurpose cleaner! Add 10 drops of lemon for added degreasing power (just be sure to use glass spray bottle).
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional, and cannot diagnose, cure, or prescribe. Consult your physician before using essential oils to treat an illness for yourself or others. The safety precautions suggested in these posts are guidelines only.